This tranquil fishing town is a great location for relaxing and enjoying its quiet waters. The waves that gently roll onto Puerto’s shore are protected by the Great Maya Reef, Mexico’s most recent addition to its National Parks and the second largest reef in the world. Just 500 meters from shore, the Great Maya Reef is a wonderful haven for magnificent fish and coral that can be explored by snorkeling or diving. This barrier also calms the waves making the beaches in Puerto Morelos ideal for families.
While it is impossible to list all of the exciting adventures awaiting you. Puerto Morelos and The Mayan Riviera are unmatched in offerings of watersports, snorkeling and diving, golf, fishing, ecotourism, Mayan ruins and culture, shopping, spas, and world class cuisine of every genre. There are hustling nightspots and quiet beaches, making it a destination for everyone to enjoy — However you choose to fill your time.
Puerto Morelos, Mexico is a sleepy fishing village just 15 minutes south of the Cancun Airport, in the State of Quintana Roo. We enjoy quiet waters that are a National Park and some of the best snorkeling in the world!
It is also 25 minutes from the exciting town of Playa del Carmen. The Mayan Ruin sites of Tulum (1 hour), Coba (1.5 hours), Chichen Itza (2 hours), and Ek Balam (1.5 hours) can be easily viewed on a day trip.
It has its own timezone, which can be found under Cancun Time on your devices and does not observe Daylight Savings Time.
The current time in Puerto Morelos is: 12:36 pm EST
Puerto Morelos has an awesome and HUGE selection of restaurants — the best of any small town on the coast! From corner cafes to award-winning gourmet cuisine, there is something for everyone. Enjoy the freshest fish, lobster, Yucatan, Oriental, Italian, Argentinean, and Continental menus. Plus, you are only minutes away from the incredible selection of restaurants that Cancun and Playa del Carmen have to offer.
In Puerto Morelos:
- Casa Martin – Puerto Morelos has a local grocery store in the town square named Casa Martin on the Town Square. It supplies all of the basics.
- Chedraui – There is a Chedraui Grocery Store at the Puerto Morelos Intersection of Highway 307. It has a large selection of foods, meats, cheeses, wines, beer, and liquor. (Most find the selection at Chedraui sufficient enough that a trip to Cancun’s groceries are not needed.)
- Super Aki – Another large chain grocery store located just north of Chedraui along Highway 307.
- La Europea – There is a small La Europea wines/liquors in the Pemex Gas Station Store that is on the road that leads from the highway into downtown Puerto Morelos.
- Fruit and Veggie Stands – West of the highway you’ll find numerous produce stands with fresh fruits and veggies.
- Tortillaria – You can pick up fresh/hot tortillas from the local Tortillaria on Av. Ninos Heroes.
- Puerto Morelos Market – Every Wednesday morning, there is fresh produce market in the Town Square (beside the church) that offers great fruits, veggies, and other local goods. Usually set up by 7am and cleaned out by 10/11am.
There are also several stores in Cancun (about a 15 minute drive from Puerto Morelos) that offer top quality meats, cheeses, a wider selection of goods. There is a shopping plaza called “Cumbres” just north of the Cancun Airport, on Hwy 307, that has the following stores:
- Superama – A good, general grocery store.
- Sam’s Club – Don’t forget to bring your membership card with you!
- La Europea – Full of fine wines, liquor, cheeses, special imports, and specialties!
Further into Downtown Cancun, there is also a Costco.
Many stores, vendors, and restaurants in town only accept cash, so you will want to have cash in addition to your credit card.
- Money Exchange: There is a money exchange located in the Puerto Morelos Town Square. There is another located in the CI Banco, located in the storefronts of the Chedraui grocery store.
- ATM Machines: Using an ATM is will give you the best exchange rate on your money. For security, we recommend using the ATM that is in the CI Banco, located in the storefronts of the Chedraui grocery store.
- There is no place that will exchange or accept Traveler’s Checks.
Let your cell phone provider know that you will be traveling to Mexico. Often, they have a package that you can add to your cell service which will allow you to use your phone and data in Mexico.
Puerto Morelos has several computer/internet cafes that offer high speed internet services.
Most vacation rentals do not have laundry machines (Check your Amenities list to be certain.). However, there are several laundromats (“Lavandarias”) in town. All offer drop-off service. The price is generally 12 pesos/kilo and your clothes are ready for pick-up within 24 hours. Washed, Dried, Folded, and Bagged in less than 24 hours for only 12 pesos! It’s the best deal in town!!